WHERE: Ubajara, Ceara Brazil
PROXIMITY TO FORTALEZA: 5 – 7 hours by Bus. 5-ish hours by car.
DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH: Rarely! Have your Google Translation app ready!
- BUS : Rodoviária ( Bus Station) de Fortaleza – João Thomé
- Address – Av. Borges de Melo, 1630 – Fatima, Fortaleza – CE, 60415-510
- Bus Company to use: GUANABARA
- By car.
GETTING AROUND IN UBAJARA :
- TAXI : Usually available when you arrive at the bus station
WHERE TO STAY:
- Booking.com has plenty of listings for Ubajara!
- I stayed at a lovely place called POUSADA E MUSEU JK. This place is ideal for people who have cars or who have arranged transportation by taxi.
WHAT TO KNOW BEFORE YOU GO – UBAJARA NATIONAL PARK:
- Features several hiking trails, ranging from easy-ish to gruelling (30 minutes to 7 hours of hiking!). Most of these trails are not casual hiking. The terrain is often uneven, with exposed tree roots and large steps up and down. Be prepared for hiking uphill!
- Sky car that goes down to the caves (*as of this writing, the sky buckets were being repaired. We were told that they will be running again in 2020).
- Several breathtaking lookout points
- What to bring: for the 3 – 7 hour trails, bring at least 2 liters of water, good hiking shoes, bug repellent, a swimsuit and towel if you hike to the waterfall.
- Hiking with a guide is mandatory.
- There is a small gift shop and snack bar near the entrance.
WHAT I THINK: Ubajara is one of several cities nestled in Serra Ibiapaba, one of the mountain ranges in Ceara. I really enjoyed spending the day at Ubajara National Park and going on a serious hike. The hiking trails are definitely not flat or leisurely, so that is something to be prepared for before you go. There are also several potential trails to take. One leads to the caves and is a gruelling 7 hours long (only a few minutes to the cave if you choose to go using the sky car). One trail leads to Cachoeira Cafundo (Cafundo Waterfall) and lasts about 3 hours. One of the easier trails is about 30 minutes long and goes to the first breathtaking lookout point. This national park was gorgeous and I really enjoyed my time here! Completing the 3 mile hike was quite challenging for me in the last hour but felt great!
IS IT WORTH IT? YES! YES! AND YES!