NEIGHBORHOOD (BAIRRO): PRAIA DE IRACEMA
HOURS: DRAGAO DO MAR: Monday – Sunday 8AM – 11PM
PLANETARIUM: Thursday – Friday 6PM – 7PM
Saturday – Sunday 5PM – 8PM
* It’s best to visit on Saturday or Sunday
PRICE: *Entering the Dragao do Mar Culture Center is Free*
* Entering the Planetarium Costs R$ 10
- The Planetarium is located in the Dragao Do Mar Culture Center complex, which is FULL of art exhibits, coffe shops, and small restaurants. It’s a great place to factor in conjunction with visiting other exhibits that may be present at the complex itself.
- IMAX film about some aspect of astronomy.
- Seats that allow you to lie down while you look at the film, which is projected onto a domed screen on the ceiling.
- Film lasts about 30 minutes
- There’s a church accross the street that is in session on Saturday nights. I thought the singing was quite lovely!
- RULES: a) NO CAMERAS ALLOWED
- b) NO FOOD, DRINKS OR GUM
- c) IF YOU LEAVE DURING THE PRESENTATION, YOU CANNOT ENTER AGAIN
DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH? No. The film / presentation will be in Portuguese. However, the imagery is interesting enough to be engaging, even if you don’t completely understand what is being said.
WHAT I THINK: I think it’s a great place to visit as part of a wider agenda at the Dragao do Mar Culture Center Complex. The best time to go would be Friday – Sunday, when there are likely other events during the weekend and a lively atmoshphere.
IS IT WORTH IT? YES!
HOW TO GET THERE: I would recommend taking and UBER or Taxi to Dragao do Mar.
ADDRESS: Rua Dragão do Mar, 81 – Praia de Iracema, Fortaleza – CE
*These pictures reflect a full day spent at the Dragao do Mar Culture Center, in addition to my visit to the Planetarium*