PLACE: JOSE ALENCAR THEATRE / TEATRO JOSE DE ALENCAR
NEIGHBORHOOD (BAIRRO): CENTRO
- TUESDAY – FRIDAY 0900 – 1000
- SATURDAY AND SUNDAY 1400 – 1000
- BOX OFFICE: TUESDAY – SUNDAY 1400 – 1900
- CAFE IRACEMA (at the entrance of the theatre): TUESDAY – SUNDAY 1400 – 2000 (except holidays)
- GUIDED TOUR (*Portuguese only* ) TUESDAY – FRIDAY: 09H / 10H / 11H/14H/ 15H / 16H/ 17H ; SATURDAY AND SUNDAY: 14H/15H/16H
- GUIDED TOUR PRICE: R$ 6,00 (SIX REAIS) ** Note that, as of this writing, you do NOT need to pay to simply walk into the theatre and view the space on your own!
- Group Scheduling: (85) 3101.2567
PRICE: Prices for shows and presentations TYPICALLY range from: FREE – R$ 30,00 (thirty reais)!
- CAFE IRACEMA : Cute cafe at the front of the theatre. Great for having a snack and people watching in a glorious space!
- As of now, you can just go in and wander around freely, without being a part of a tour group!
- Beautiful neoclassical architecture by BURLE MARX
- Annexed area in the back of the theatre with additional shows and another cafe!
- Wide range of shows, from musical presentations, to theatre, to dance!
MONTHLY PROGRAM OF SHOWS:
- Physical schedules available at the box office (as of this writing).
- Monthly schedules can also be found at:
DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH? Not typically, but you probably won’t need it anyway! Still, keep that translator handy!
WHAT I THINK: This place is really awesome! It’s in the heart of downtown Fortaleza, where there is the hustle and bustle of street vendors, young people, and artists! The theatre itself is a great space to go and look around during the day, or take in a show at night! You really get a sense of the grandeur of shows in the old days, and the energy of the place where serious artists and writers like to go for inspiration. It is also next to the METRO station and in an area where it is easy to get a cab or just take a walk to see other parts of the chaotic and colorful downtown Fortaleza area!
IS IT WORTH IT? YES! YES! AND YES!
HOW TO GET THERE: Taxi or Uber. Taxis tend to be available in the area, but download the SINDITAXI PASSAGEIROS APP (google play), just in case you don’t see any on the streets.
ADDRESS: R. Liberato Barroso, 525 – Centro, Fortaleza – CE, 60030-160